Monday, May 7, 2012

organized chaos.


i often joke about the fact that without my iphone i would have no idea where I am supposed to be on any given day. saying this usually makes people laugh or at least chuckle and at the very least crack a smile. but it’s entirely true. i like to live life on the edge by putting all my eggs in one basket- i store all of my work, meetings, engagements, dinners, rehearsals, bill payment deadlines, birthdays, doctor appointments (human and canine), reminders to- drop this off, or pick that up, in my phone (my brother lives life on the edge by sky diving, off trail skiing down crazy dangerous mountains, playing with baby tigers- ya know, kind of similar). oh the life of an artist- i technically work 5 different jobs, so on any given day I can be in many different places, hence why my car is my best friend, and why every night entails the anticipation of unlocking my screen to get to may calendar- unless it’s out of battery of course.

the chaos of my life in some weird way keeps me feeling balanced and whole, sometimes even at peace, other times the chaos scale tips a little too much and i have to remind myself to calm down, relax and prioritize- (namaste)- which is why I surround myself with an amazing support system of friends and family who are my rock.  what a wise man told me last week (thanks dad) and what I’m learning as i age (and i will be 30 this year-crazy!) is that this chaos of life does not go away but it actually continues and it’s best to embrace the flow of your own life and enjoy the ride. i just learned a saying last week when working at the boston conservatory: “yolo”, which means: You Only Live Once. leave it to the next generation to give me some perspective.

i have been working on 'organized chaos' since late last year, it’s a quartet dedicated to the successful, hardworking woman today, the moments along the way, the relationships we encounter- some we hold on to, and the reminder to slow down to assess, prioritize and check in with YOU.  My longtime friend and now boss (susan) always talks about the “hardest job” in America: the working mother.  who not only is intelligent, motivated, successful, but is also getting the dinner on the table for the family and most importantly being present as “mom, wife, boss, co-worker, friend”. the strength of women continuously amazes me.

in 'organized chaos' we see four dancers with striking movement and lines, energetically a constant momentum and push and music that melts me every time.

we will premiere 'organized chaos' at the june 15-17th show "1 x 7", in Cambridge, ma, with live cello accompaniment by kate kayaian.

"More than anything else, that's what good art does: not answer questions or set agendas, but create space - space to laugh, to mourn, and to wonder who and how and why we are."
-From "In Wheat & Weeds and the Wolf of Gubbio", by Graziano Marcheschi


-tara








No comments:

Post a Comment